Ingredients:2-3 lb. Yak Roast (chuck, arm, or any other cut you want to try)2 tbsp olive oil2 ½ tsp kosher salt, divided1 ½ tsp black pepper, divided1 medium yellow onionHandful of thyme sprigs1 cup low sodium beef broth1 cup apple cider3-6 cloves garlic, depending on preference2 lbs. sweet potatoes4 tbsp unsalted butter4 tbsp maple syrup⅓ cup heavy cream1 tsp fresh minced ginger
Directions:1. Sear Roast and Sautee Veg
• Heat oil in dutch oven, or large pan over medium heat.• Generously season roast all over with salt and pepper, add to pan and sear on all sides.• Set roast aside.• Coarsely chop onion, and mince garlic. • Reduce heat to medium-low, add onions, and sauté until soft, 3-5 minutes.• Add garlic and leaves from a sprig or two of thyme and stir for about 1 minute.• Pour in broth and cider, increase heat to medium-high, and cook 1-2 minutes, stirringconstantly, scraping brown bits up from bottom of pan into the mixture to dissolve.
2. Transfer to Slow Cooker and Cook
• Place your roast into the slow cooker, and cover with cider broth mixture.• Cook on Low 4-6 hours, until fork tender.
3. Make Sweet Potato Mash• Preheat oven to 350 F• Prick each sweet potato 3-4 times with a fork and place on a lined baking sheet.• Bake for 60-80 minutes, until tender. Turn over halfway through baking.• While the sweet potatoes bake, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.• Add maple syrup, heavy cream, minced ginger, 1 ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp black pepper to themelted butter. Turn off heat and set pan aside.• When the sweet potatoes are cooked and cool enough to handle, cut them in half and scoop outthe flesh into the butter mixture.• Over low heat, mash the potatoes with a masher or fork until smooth.• Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
4. Serve your finished roast over the mash and drizzle with roasting sauce.*You may choose to thicken the sauce when the roast is finished with a roux or slurry.